Lifeguarding certification and recertification courses to be offered in April
Penn State Hazleton, an authorized provider of American Red Cross programs, will offer courses for lifeguards to become certified and recertified through the American Red Cross starting in April. Courses will be taught by Karen Stylianides, instructor in kinesiology at the campus.
To enroll in the lifeguarding course, participants must be at least 15 years old before the last scheduled class session and must successfully complete a pretest before the class begins. The mandatory pretest will be held from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 16 in the pool in the campus physical education building.
Participants must complete the following skills during the pretest:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using both the front crawl and breaststroke.
- Tread water for two minutes using only the legs while hands are placed under the armpits.
- Complete the following in a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards with face in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping the face at or near the surface to be able to get a breath. The participant may not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or step.
The lifeguard certification course will be held from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m., Fridays, April 18 and 25 and from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Saturdays, April 19 and 26. The fee for the lifeguard certification course is $250. If a participant is unable to successfully complete the pretest, a refund less a $25 administrative fee will be issued.
The lifeguarding recertification course, for those who have current American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certification, will be held from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m., Friday, April 25, and from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Saturday, April 26. The fee for the recertification course is $65.
All courses will take place at Penn State Hazleton swimming pool, located in the lower level of the Physical Education building.
Participation in all class sessions is required. Upon successful completion of the course, an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/ First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for two years, will be issued.
For more information or to register, contact the Office of Continuing Education at 570-450-3576 or email email@example.com.
- News and Events