Next session begins July 22, 2014
The mission of the Penn State Hazleton Practical Nursing Program is to provide a high quality non-credit certificate program, delivered through a part-time, evening, and weekend curriculum, to prepare individuals with the knowledge, skills, values, attitudes essential for practical nursing practice and the knowledge necessary to pass the NCLEX-PN.
This eighteen-month evening and weekend program consists of the following classroom and clinical curriculum, all programming is done under the supervision of qualified nursing instructors:
- Structure and function of the human body
- Fundamentals of Practical Nursing
- Concepts of Basic Medical-Surgical Nursing Care
- Nursing Care of Adults and Children
- Nursing Care of the Adult
Upon completion of the Practical Nursing program, the graduate will:
- Utilize, under supervision, scientific knowledge and skills necessary to plan and provide safe and comprehensive client-centered nursing care in all settings where nursing takes place
- Perform nursing care that reflects accurate assessments of the client's growth and development
- Apply the nursing processes in meeting the client's needs
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Perform in a legal and ethical manner
- Administer medications in the healthcare setting with accuracy
- Participate with members of the healthcare team in providing instruction for identified client healthcare needs
- Utilize information technology in providing basic care
NOTE: Students who graduate from the Practical Nursing program meet the educational requirements to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
Penn State Hazleton
76 University Drive
Hazleton, PA 18202
Click here for directions to the Penn State Hazleton campus
$14,500.00 includes tuition, books and supplies, and uniforms
NOTE: Student financial aid is available for those who qualify. Interested students can submit a free online application at www.fafsa.gov. (PSU school code 003329) Students enrolled in the PN program will be reviewed for both federal Pell Grant as well as federal Direct Stafford loan eligibility. The program also qualifies for Veteran Education Benefits. For more information, please visit The Office of Student Aid website or contact the Office of Student Aid at 570-450-3163.
Non-degree Registration Form
Checklist for Practical Nursing Application
Functions of a Licensed Practical Nurse
Course Descriptions for LPN Program
Frequently Asked Questions for the LPN Program
Sample Schedule for LPN participant
For more information or if you have any additional questions, contact:Debra Conway
Practical Nurse Information Sessions
Learn more about the practical nursing program at Penn State Hazleton by attending one of our information sessions. Call 570-450-3110 for more information or to register.
Information sessions will be held on the following days:
Thursday, February 20, 2014 from 4 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday, April 14, 2014 from 8 a.m. - 9 a.m.
Tuesday, May 6, 2014 from 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
All sessions will be held in the Slusser/Bayzick Building, Lower Level, Room 105
Practical Nurse Entrance Exam (TEAS) Test Dates
In order to register for one of the following test dates, please complete the attached application and include a preferred test date along with your $75 application fee. You will receive confirmation of your registration once your application and payment are received.
Tuesday, February 11, 2014 from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Thursday, February 27, 2014 from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 from 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
Thursday, March 27, 2014 from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday, April 29, 2014 from 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
Thursday, May 15, 2014 from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start time. Test begins promptly at the scheduled time. Be sure to have a picture ID and your paper/pencil ID number. Your pen/pencil number is obtained by visiting www.atitesting.com (click "Create an account" link. The number will begin with A and contain 7 or 8 digits).
A TEAS study manual is available for purchase ($48 - cash or check only). The book contains instructional material for each of the four subject areas assessed, practice problems with explanatory answer keys, two comprehensive practice tests with explanatory answer keys, and a detailed glossary of terms used throughout the guide. If interested, the manual can be purchased from the Continuing Education Office.
If you have any questions, please call the Continuing Education Office at 570-450-3110 or via email at email@example.com.
- Continuing Education
- Credit Programs
- Certificate Programs
- Noncredit Certificate Programs
- Adult Programs
- Youth Programs
- Professional Development
- Course Schedule
- Practical Nursing
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science Degree in Business
- About Us
- Request Information
- Contact Continuing Education
- Saturday Accelerated BS in Business Degree Program